The Youth Restitution Program (YRP) provides support and mentoring for youthful offenders as they work to pay restitution and/or complete court-ordered community service hours. During this restorative justice process, YRP works to instill in their young clients a sense of self-worth and helps build upon each participant’s strengths, so they may draw upon this experience at future critical junctures.
The program's primary goals are:
- Help youth find employment to make restitution payments
- Collect restitution payments from youth and forward them to the victim
- Develop and supervise community service projects for program participants
- Connect youth with the support services they need to develop positive lifestyles
- 365 youth, ages 10-17 received services
- These youth performed community service and made $34,955 in restitution payments
- The success rate every year since 1978 has exceeded 91% (Dane Co. Dept. of Human Services stipulated goal is 85%)
Work team sites and projects included Shelter From The Storm, Goodman Community Center Food Pantry, Goodman Community Center Kitchens, Meadowwood Neighborhood Center Food Pantry, Badger Rock Neighborhood Center, City of Madison Parks, One City Learning Center, food donation drives, yard care and snow removal for senior citizens.